L.E.A.D (Leadership, Education & Development) CAMP
Current 6th grade+
Monday, June 26 - Friday, June 30, 2023
In this one-week program, teens learn what it takes to be a leader in the community and future camp counselors. Through team building activities, hands-on training and practical life lessons, they will gain confidence and skills, including how to participate in interviews; all that will help them with future endeavors. We believe it’s never too early to learn these practices.
Attendance in L.E.A.D is required to be an LIT or JC in Fruit Camp, even if you have participated in a Pre-L.E.A.D mini workshop.
Register early - spots are limited. Registration ends June 19th
Go to Register Now!>Camps>LEAD, LIT & JC
COST: $70 (includes t-shirt)
LEADERS IN TRAINING (LIT)
Current 6th grade+
The LIT program allows our teens to develop strong leadership skills and self-awareness. LITs spend the summer making new friends, amazing memories, creating positive relationships with campers, and gaining work experience, all while having fun. LITs will be placed in various areas around camp, including and not limited to different camper groups, assisting with camp-wide activities.
Depending on their assignments, LITs will go on field trips and swim at the pool. All LITs will receive on the job training, feedback and support from camp staff.
Required: Must commit to and register for 1 or more sessions, complete and submit application by April 21, 2023 (no exceptions), interview for an LIT position, and be able to attend ONE of the two training sessions. See Registration Responsibilities for full details.
COST: $75 per 2-week session (includes t-shirt)
JUNIOR COUNSELORS (JC)
Current 9th grade+, plus 2 years LIT mandatory to participate.
The Junior Counselor program is a continuation of our LIT program and allows teens, 9th grade and up with at least 2 years LIT experience, to gain more training and increased responsibilities while working in the Fruit Camp program.
Required: Must commit to and register for 2 or more sessions, complete and submit application by April 21, 2023 (no exceptions), interview for a JC position, and be able to attend ONE of the two training sessions. See Registration Responsibilities for full details.
COST: $75 per 2-week session (includes t-shirt). Must register for at least two 2-week sessions.
HOW TO APPLY TO BE AN LIT/JC
The following steps MUST be completed to become an LIT or JC.
- Applicant must have already attended L.E.A.D. Camp or register to attend it in summer 2023.
- Applicant should register for one or more LIT/JC sessions* on recreation.hwmi.org (Register Now!>Camps>LEAD, LIT & JC) *minimum of 2 sessions for JC
- After you register, a LIT/JC Application Form will be emailed to your household.
- Complete and return the Application Form to Jenny by Thursday, April 21, 2023. Late applications will not be accepted. Parents, please let this be the responsibility of your child (we are building strong, independent teens in HW).
- Applicants who have completed the above responsibilities will be emailed a Sign-Up Genius link where they will need to schedule and complete an interview with the LIT Director. Applicants need to know their availability and be certain of the interview day and time, before signing up for an interview. We are not able to reschedule interviews.
- Attend one of the two mandatory training sessions:
Tuesday, June 6, 6:00-8:30pm OR Saturday, June 10, 9:30am-12noon.
You are ONLY eligible for the program if you attend one of these dates. Due to time constraints, no additional training dates are available.
Every attempt is made to accommodate as many applicants as possible, but spaces are limited. Placements are based on age, previous experience (including week-long summer LEAD camp), and availability. This program is open to HW residents only.